Saturday, August 3, 2013

Canicule

Canicule (Fr.)/ Heatwave (Eng.) noun: a spell of abnormally hot weather.


A friend had written this on my new chalkboard wall as a joke about the title of my next book. How prophetic.

Last weekend, France experienced a canicule. I knew that hot weather was expected at some point and that my kale garden would likely suffer a little. Each summer France prepares their canicule alert plan in preparation for these abnormally hot periods. There are four categories of alerts:
  • Green: no warnings in place
  • Yellow: minor alert
  • Oragne: High alert, dangerous meteorological conditions are forecast.
  • Red: Maximum alert, severe and dangerous weather conditions, precautions to be taken.

To say the least, Paris was on code red last weekend. Code red is defined as: 
"People are recommended to take precautions by staying out of direct heat and sun and drinking water regularly. Special care should be taken of the young, elderly and ill. Severe medical impact expected."



I heeded this warning and decided to stay down in the village in close proximity to the Boys' pool, rather than suffering back in the city. How civilized of me. And while I was taking precautions to keep my person somewhat comfortable, my kale back in Paris did not fare so well.


Here we have the scene of the crime.



The kale, lettuce, herb garden before the canicule--so much promise.



 Post canicule-- melted kale, and a resilient survivor.



Oh, no!


I thought mint plants were supposed to be sturdy, however it was burnt to a crisp. Thank god for the new growth peeking through.


The lettuce had melted in on itself, and now two confused lettuce plants try and resurrect themselves through the devastation.

The one kale planter that seemed to persevere (and dare I say, thrive), was the one in the Maison Blanche wine box.


I think it is very auspicious that the only survivor was contained in the White House box.

No comments: